Information for those who have been accepted at a meditation course at the Northern California Vipassana Center
- Important Registration Notice
- Code of Discipline
- Arrival & Departure Information
- Items to Bring to Your Course
Important Registration Notice
As accommodation is limited, we often have waiting lists for our courses. It is your responsibility to confirm your registration 3-4 weeks before the course begins. If you are unable to attend, please inform us as soon as possible so that another person on the waiting list can attend.
NOTE: IF YOU HAVE NOT RECONFIRMED BY THE 14TH DAY (TWO WEEKS) BEFORE YOUR COURSE STARTS, YOUR SPACE WILL BE GIVEN TO SOMEONE ON THE WAITING LIST.
Thank you for your cooperation.
Code of Discipline
If you have not already done so, please read the Introduction to the Technique and Code of Discipline.
Arrival & Departure Information
All students are asked to arrive between 2:00 and 5:00 p.m. on the day the course begins. After registration is completed, a light meal and orientation will precede the start of the course. The course will end at approximately 7:30 a.m. on the last day, day 11 of the course. All new students, as well as old (returning) students taking a full course, are required to remain until the very end of the course. Part-time old students will not be permitted to leave on Metta day, the tenth full day, except in case of emergency or by prior arrangement with the assistant teacher(s).
Items to Bring to Your Course
- Your own Warm blankets or Sleeping Bag
- Top and Bottom Sheet for a twin-size bed
- Pillowcase. One sleeping pillow will be provided
- Only minimal hand-washing facilities are available, so please bring enough comfortable, loose fitting clothing for the duration of your stay. All students should observe the rules for modest dress as outlined in the Code of Discipline. Shorts, tank tops, transparent, tight or revealing clothing, etc. are not permitted. Tights or leggings should be worn only under a knee length top or skirt/dress.
- Bath Towel, Hand towels, wash cloths, etc.
- Bath Soap, Shampoo
- Toothpaste; Toothbrush
- Unscented Deodorant
- Shaving/Sanitary Supplies
- For the comfort of the other students please do not bring any perfumes or scented creams, powders, shaving lotions, etc.
- We supply a large base cushion and a smaller sitting cushion for every student. Please bring any additional cushions that you may need or prefer. Students may also wish to bring a shawl or blanket to use in the meditation hall that is separate from their sleeping blankets.
- Footwear: Easy slip-ons e.g. clogs, flip flops for outside wear. House-slippers for inside wear. You will not need to wear any footwear in the meditation hall
- A shawl or light blanket other than your sleeping blanket for use in the meditation hall
- Unscented mosquito repellent
- Liquid laundry soap
- Small battery operated alarm clock
- Flashlight with extra batteries
Suggested Seasonal Items
- Seasonal Outdoor wear; Jacket; Warm hat; Warm socks; Raincoat; Umbrella; Boots
PLEASE DO NOT BRING
- Books, diaries, journals and other reading/writing materials
- Cell phones or palm pilots. These may not be used as alarm clocks during the course
- Electronic equipment, laptops, etc.
- Musical instruments
- Tobacco in any form
- Perfumes or strongly scented toiletries
- Religious or spiritual objects
- Jewelry or other unnecessary valuables
Note: If you arrive with any of these items you will be asked to leave them with the management until the end of the course.